D&C 76:22

And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! D&C 76:22

Monday, August 27, 2012

So, Fam, this week has been crazy. I got my first area.....I am in a Zone called Choluteca Este, It´s in the very south of Honduras, a three hour bus ride from the capital. I am in an area called Los Llanos. I can literally see the border with Nicaragua when I go outside. So crazy. Everything here smells, and it all smells bad. Our House in nice compared to the other houses here. I have AC in one room....our bedroom. We have a kitchen, if you can call it that. we have a mini fridge, a sink that doesn´t work half the time, and our water has to be bought or boiled. Our bathroom doesn´t have real running water most the time, so that bucket you see in the picture is what I use to shower and flush the toilet. The sink in the bathroom doesn´t work at all. we wash all our clothes by hand, so that will be part of my pday today. it´s crazy how dirty stuff gets here in only a day. I am wearing one pair of pants for multiple days, but I have to switch shirts daily. I have never sweat so much in my LIFE!!! It´s only like 80 degrees here fahrenheit, but it feels like well over 100 with the humidity. The area I am in is really safe, and just super third world. No paved roads, not modern amenities. Except here everyone has a sound system, a car, a tv, and a cell phone.
I have also learned some things here. The first is that since I am gringo, and mormon, and people know that mormons don´t drink coffee, I hear a fair amount of ´Gringo! Quiere café? It's pretty much only the kids. Also, women here just don't wear bras, so that makes teaching a little uncomfortable. And in my first week, I had three women breastfeed in front of me. First day, actually.
Also, this is hard. I wake up in the morning, laying in bed, and just wonder what I am doing here. That wouldn't it have been easier to ignore what I felt in Kirtland and Nauvoo and not have to be here, to be in Cedar going to school....Then I study, say a prayer, and head out. and by the end of the night, I come to realize that this mission is worth more than any education. It's hard, and is taking a little bit of getting used too, but it's good.
We pay a hermana in the ward to feed us like one meal a day. That's pretty much the only meal we eat, we don't have the time or anything to cook for ourselves. We eat snacks and stuff if we buy them from pulperias, little stores, like in the pictures you sent me, with the tigo sign on it. Those things sell literally everything. So we normally get stuff from there once or twice a week. Hermana Norde is the lady that feeds us. She is a member, her husband isn't. she has two kids who are freaking adorable. Super nice.
So, we have one "investigador de oro"- golden investigator right now. She has done everything that my comp, Elder Nava, and his previous companion have asked. The only problem is that she doesn't think she is ready to get baptized, and can't pick a date. So we gave her the 8th as our last one, and then we would have to drop her. we didn't tell her we would have to drop her, but that we wouldn't be able to teach her anymore.
We only have a few other investigators. Nobody really that we think is going for baptism right now. There are a few potentials, but most people here don't think they need to be baptized because they were baptized when they were babies. That, and people don't ever want to learn for themselves. They trust what their pastors have told them. It's sort of frustrating sometimes, but it works out most times.
My trainer's name is Elder Nava. he's from Juajaca, Mexico, and is like 5'3". Tiny little Mexican that speaks no English, hardly. except for the phrases I taught him, which are "Gosh Darn it!" and "Are you freaking kidding me??" He uses those a lot.
Crazy stuff down here. This week has really helped me appreciate the power of prayer, and the effect that it can have on our day to day lives. prayer really works, and is super helpful. God really does listen to us, and want's to help us, we just need to ask.
So, I am also attaching pictures. I can't attach too many, but I will send as many as I can with other emails. There are like a trillion other missionaries that need to use the computers her, so I gotta be quick.
Love you guys, and the chuch is true!!!!!
 
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment