D&C 76:22

And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! D&C 76:22

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Monday, October 1, 2012

So, This week has been really good!! I will tell you all about it as soon as I respond to everybody.
Erin- I am sorry, that sounds tough to deal with. I am sure that the Coach is trying new things to try and win, or to improve. Sometimes, we don't know why we don't play. Just give him no excuse not to play you. If you allow me, I can compare this to missionary work. Sometimes, the people don't accept, even when we do all we can. That doesn't mean the gospel isn't true, or that they won't ever be baptized, it just means that their time isn't now. The same with volleyball. Just because you didn't play doesn't mean you aren't working hard, it just means that that game wasn't your time to play, and if you keep working hard, the long term results will come. I am sure that if Cody put that nightclub together with Kaleb, it was probably a good time. Just don't get dancing too crazy.
 
(Hey, it Paula, adding a little history to preface Zach's message to Cody.  First let me explain that Cody is crazy and random.  He sent Zach a letter explaining that the roof of his mouth should really be called the ceiling and the top of his head, the roof, based on the ceiling and roof locations in an actual house.  Then he complained that he had a crooked finger and is very perplexed about how it got that way and finished by telling Zach he has an amazing mustache and taunted Zach because he has to shave.)
Cody- I am glad to hear you logically solved a problem that has been puzzling mankind for centuries. Share that little nugget of gold knowledge with everybody, I am sure it will change the world. Also, everybody has crooked fingers. Nobody has perfect hands. Just don't let that stop you in life!! There are plenty of people with crooked fingers who live normal lives. Crooked finger people are people too, remember, and nobody will treat you any differently. Just remember that people judge without understanding.  I hope and pray that your mustache continues to come in well. Maybe people will notice that instead of your crooked fingers.
And you should get a bouncer for your night club, nobody will ever be intimidated by your mustache, crooked fingers, or that fact that you just aren't intimidating. 
 
Mas- I am sorry your team lost, but that's just a reminder to keep extra focused when you are winning. Those are the times when you should play harder than ever. And what is this girls name whose locker combo you have engraved in your memory?? Is she in any classes with you?? I don't think that's awkward. I am going to submit to you my own personal philosophy- It's only awkward if you make it awkward. Mull that over, think about it and lemme know what you think.

I was super grateful for the lesson in third hour yesterday, the bishop gave it about how to teach, and about how we should teach with what the Lord has given us to teach from- canons of scripture and books with the church seal. If it's not there, don't teach it. Church isn't a time to share personal thoughts or opinions- it's a time to share the doctrine of the Lord. Think about General Conference- they share concrete, simple doctrines. They use scriptures, church material, and appropriate stories. 
 
Honestly, I don't think this place will ever feel like home, I just think I am starting to forget what home is like. Like, carpet is a foreign concept. Water out of a tap? Weird. Driving my own car? Really? I can drive at home?? I just don't remember what that stuff is like.
 
Our ward is about 150, the eq is tiny, the primary is okay, and the relief society is well taken care of. I think something helpful would be to have more hymnbooks and triples combinations. Everybody has a bible, and the copy of the book of mormon that we give them, but nobody has D and C or the Pearl of Great price, or a hymnbook.

Well, my week has been good and sad. Monday, at lunch, we saw that a lawyer had been assassinated in el Centro. Turns out, he was the husband of a lady in our ward. They were married in the temple, have six kids, and he decides the church isn't for him, and was working on divorcing her. We went to the funeral services Tuesday, because they asked if I could play the piano. I went, and played. The lady has an amazing testimony. The church was full of lawyers, and the spirit was super strong. He was shot in the daytime. Super sad. We didn't really get much done that day after that. Our really promising investigators weren't home Tuesday.
 
Wednesday we did splits. The ZL, Concha, came to our area with me, and Nava went with Ruiz their area. all of our contacts fell through, so we contacted all day. Then it started to rain, and we took shelter at a pulperia (very small 7-11 type market), where a man and his son also took shelter. We started just talking to them, chatting, and it rained for like forty five minutes straight, so we didn't leave.The man invited us to his house to chat. Turns out, his family lived in a different city, and his parents fed the missionaries practically every day for 20 years. his dad got baptized, but he never did, and he has a profound respect and love for the missionaries. All I could think of was Dad's saying, "Coincidence is God's way of staying anonymous." So true. We are going to work with him and his son and wife. 
 
Funny story time. We were contacting, and I knocked on a door. I could hear people inside, so I knew people were home. Nobody answered, so I knocked again. The words, "No hay Nadie!" which means "there is no one", came from inside the house. My response was "En serio? Entonces, con quien estoy hablando?" "Seriously? So then, who am I talking to?" Silence. I think people think we are stupid, but we're not.
 
Thursday we couldn't find our investigators at home either, but we had lunch with family that we are working with, and will pull like three baptisms from this month. They fed us fish. They literally cleaned the guts out and fried all of it in butter, head and tail and all. it was really good. We had that Friday too.
 
Saturday we talked with the mom of one of our investigators who won't let her daughter get baptized. She said that she won't permit her daughter to be baptized because she has already been baptized once, and to do it again is playing with God. I said that the first time she got baptized was a game with God. She asked how, so we explained about authority for the millionth time, and then asked if she could be baptized. She said no. So obviously, she doesn't get the whole authority thing. But she won't listen. We have explained it to her every way we know how. This lady needs blessings, but she is too hard hearted and stiff necked to accept anything. Finally, I felt like I had to say something. I thought that it was too strong, and would offend her, so I didn't. The words ended up practically forcing themselves out of my mouth in the most fluid and correct Spanish ever. I looked at her in the eyes, and said, Juanita, the spirit is speaking to me, and this is what it says to you. If you don't permit your daughter to be baptized, and something happens to her, or you impede this ordinance, you will be held responsible before God in the last day. You will be judged for this, and you will be judged according to the laws of God. All your daughter wants in her life is happiness. Why would you impede happiness? I got done saying that, and she just kind of sat there. Her gaze was everywhere but me. She still said no.  I got home super defeated. I had literally had the spirit speak through me to her, and she still said no. I got to my house, and just prayed. Literally for like 20 minutes. I prayed harder than I have prayed for a lot of things. I prayed at first to soften her heart, but as I prayed, it turned into helping me understand what I need to learn from this, and that the Lord will give me patience. 
 
Well, Nava and Ruiz went to Teguc to take out residence, so I went and stayed with Concha. I also gave three blessings in spanish yesterday, with oil. I don't know those words. I also had some lady tell me, she's like 30, that she would love to have a baby with my eyes. Awkward. for the most part. I took it with a grain of salt. 
 
Well, we watched the Singles Ward last night, because Concha had to take all the data from all the areas, and that didn't finish until like 12:30, so I went to bed late, but it was so worth it. That movie is freaking hilarious, especially after being in a singles ward. Literally everything in there is true, but super exaggerated. So funny. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. it was in English with Spanish subtitles, so i loved it.

Cambios this week, which means that I have 1 change down. it has flown by, so I know that the rest will too.

I love you all, and can't wait to hear from you next week. Stay strong, pray often, and read the scriptures everyday!!

See you in 21 months!!!

Elder Zach Glassett

No comments:

Post a Comment