D&C 76:22

And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! D&C 76:22

Monday, October 7, 2013

Anti-mormon literature

September 30, 2013
So. This week just made me angry. Like, really angry. We had a great week, don`t get me wrong. Taught thirty lessons, seven baptismal challenges. Have some good positive people. 

What got me most angry was what happened to our baptism.

There are some jovenes and their mom that we are teaching. Suyapa, the mom, and her seven kids Luis16 junior 15 oliver 12 Alejandro 10 Ariel 7 Yasir 3 and Anita 1.5. The father has never been there, due to the fact that he lives and works in Tegucigalpa. So we didn`t even think to ask him for permission. We have had the registros bautismales full for the last 2 weeks, and they come to church. They are awesome, and were found by members, so it was super great. We love this family.  And on thursday we went over to review the baptismal interview questions...and Suyapa tells me that the dad found out and forbid it. Well, logic tells me this. 

He comes once every two months to Choluteca to supposedly leave money with his family. but members told us that he really doesn`t make any money to bring them,  .....He said no. So I said I wanted to talk to him. We were at their house the next morning. I bought the minutes and called him on Suyapa`s phone. We talked for 25 minutes...and he got absolutely nowhere. He was definitely reading straight from a book of anti mormon literature. He would ask me things like, "Why do mormons teach that Christ had 7 wives and lots of children and Joseph Smith Jr claimed to be one of those descendants??¨ I told him that that was the first time in 21 years I had ever heard that. He asked why we can't see the plates, and why Joseph Smith didn`t show them to anyone. I told him that we can't see them so we have faith and believe on something we can't see, and 11 other people saw them. He asked why we practice vicarious baptism if it isn`t in the bible. So I explained that God is a just God, and everybody needs to hear the gospel. Then used 1 peter 3 18-20, juan 3 5 and 1 cor. 15:29. quoted them. And he kept asking. I literally answered everything he asked me, and did it from the bible. He asked why Joseph Smith had to use special magic rocks, ....and I told him the urim and thummim appear in the bible. Everything. And I was fine until he asked why I believe in such a book as the Book of Mormon, and how it just talks about joseph smith. I very curtly asked him if he had read the book. The ACTUAL book. He said no. So I told him to read it, and that it would change his life. I bore my testimony to him, and thought maybe I had it. but he still said no. He wants to speak with us the next time he comes to Cholu. hopefully its soon. 

Then we had a super great experience Sunday afternoon!!!!! We have an investigator that is named Noly. She is super great, and actually very interested in everything. She learned this week that the Book of Mormon is true....and knows it. She goes to a church named Cedars of Lebanon, so I left her one scripture....just one. 3 Nephi 27:8. Go find it. She was very taken aback. But she says it made sense. Then we started talking,...and she opened up. She has had a very difficult life. She has been playing mom for her sisters since age 12, has a four year old daughter, and has 24 years. She has sacrificed her own life and goals for her sisters. so she just opened up and started crying. She told us that she had asked for help from her church, to help her feel better...but she felt like they can`t make her feel like we do when we talk to her. And this day was no different. She was definitely impacted by our chat...and has promised to do everything we ask her to do as representatives of Christ. So I am super excited to keep working with her.

Then, we celebrated a birthday, and broke eggs, and everything, but it just went downhill. Today we are eating a TON of ice cream....so stoked. and cake.  Can't wait. 

Everything is good. This week was super freaking hot, but it stormed like NUTS on Saturday. rained like crazy. Crazy crazy rain. This has got to be winter season now. 

But I am loving it here. We are working hard...and doing everything we can to help people down here. I love the ward, and the investigators are awesome. I can`t wait for General Conference, and am looking forward to hearing the prophet's voice. 

And home sounds crazier than ever. I talked with a member this week...she has a very good life, her husband is very successful, and they have two kids. the kids go to a bilingual school, and have the American school schedule. She was telling me about how she doesn`t let her kids to extra curricular stuff because its too much wear and tear for her, and how she wishes they didn`t want to do stuff. OH MY GOODNESS. Thank you, MOM and DAD, for sacrificing everything for us kids. Thanks for always putting us first, and making sure that we are happy before you. Thank you for taking the time to raise us in the gospel, and getting us into good programs, and doing whatever we ever asked you!!!! I love you both so much!!!!!

That is all for this week.

Zach

Making pancakes, Glassett style -  many at a time.

He's not a fan of homemade self rising flour, but he now has the real deal so hopefully his pancakes will taste more like home.

I think this was originally a birthday party because of the flour all over the girl.  Zach hasn't changed too much.  He is still the one who is the most clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment