I have also learned some things here. The first is that since I am gringo,
and mormon, and people know that mormons don´t drink coffee, I hear a fair
amount of ´Gringo! Quiere café? It's pretty much only the kids. Also, women here
just don't wear bras, so that makes teaching a little uncomfortable. And in my
first week, I had three women breastfeed in front of me. First day, actually.
Also, this is hard. I wake up in the morning, laying in bed, and just
wonder what I am doing here. That wouldn't it have been easier to ignore what I
felt in Kirtland and Nauvoo and not have to be here, to be in Cedar going to
school....Then I study, say a prayer, and head out. and by the end of the night,
I come to realize that this mission is worth more than any education. It's hard,
and is taking a little bit of getting used too, but it's good.
We pay a hermana in the ward to feed us like one meal a day. That's pretty
much the only meal we eat, we don't have the time or anything to cook for
ourselves. We eat snacks and stuff if we buy them from pulperias, little stores,
like in the pictures you sent me, with the tigo sign on it. Those things sell
literally everything. So we normally get stuff from there once or twice a week.
Hermana Norde is the lady that feeds us. She is a member, her husband isn't. she
has two kids who are freaking adorable. Super nice.
So, we have one "investigador de oro"- golden investigator right now. She
has done everything that my comp, Elder Nava, and his previous companion have
asked. The only problem is that she doesn't think she is ready to get baptized,
and can't pick a date. So we gave her the 8th as our last one, and then we would
have to drop her. we didn't tell her we would have to drop her, but that we
wouldn't be able to teach her anymore.
We only have a few other investigators. Nobody really that we think is
going for baptism right now. There are a few potentials, but most people here
don't think they need to be baptized because they were baptized when they were
babies. That, and people don't ever want to learn for themselves. They trust
what their pastors have told them. It's sort of frustrating sometimes, but it
works out most times.
My trainer's name is Elder Nava. he's from Juajaca, Mexico, and is like
5'3". Tiny little Mexican that speaks no English, hardly. except for the phrases
I taught him, which are "Gosh Darn it!" and "Are you freaking kidding me??" He
uses those a lot.
Crazy stuff down here. This week has really helped me appreciate the power
of prayer, and the effect that it can have on our day to day lives. prayer
really works, and is super helpful. God really does listen to us, and want's to
help us, we just need to ask.
So, I am also attaching pictures. I can't attach too many, but I will send
as many as I can with other emails. There are like a trillion other missionaries
that need to use the computers her, so I gotta be quick.
Love you guys, and the chuch is true!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment